Re: problem with gold in houses not surviving a reboot

From: Casper Lund (ncl@mailhost.net)
Date: 07/14/96

On Sun, 14 Jul 1996 00:53:50 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Casper Lund wrote:
>
>> I have a small problem with player houses on a circle build 11 mud.
>> When money are dropped in a house, the mud is shut down and booted
>> again I get a syslog error saying:
>>
>> Sat Jul 13 23:51:10 :: SYSERR: Illegal value(s) passed to obj_to_room
>>
>> I'm positive it's the money thats the problem as all other items load
>> perfectly.. Money just disappear, never to be seen again. Is this an
>> error in the standard circle or is it something with my codebase (in
>> that case I'm confused since I havn't changed a bit in the house.c
>> code)?
>
>I think the problem is that gold is treated pretty much like corpses.
>It;s created as a temporary object, probably with a vnum of 0.  So it
>saves as object 0, but when the house tris to load, that object is
>invalid so you get the syserr and the gold is no longer in the house.
>
>Solution?  Tell your tenants not to leave gold around the house :)

I would like to have this fixed, but haven't seen a fix for it. When
crashsaving the house, instead of saving the portion(s) of gold
instead counting how much gold is in the room and then record it in
the house struct. And when loading the house, then create that amount
of gold again.. Wouldn't that be the easiest way to solve the problem?

--
Casper Lund
ncl@mailhost.net