[Circle] Re: Just an observation

From: Franco (awe@mt.arias.net)
Date: 07/25/96

        You know, even though i submit a few things here and there, I agree
with you 100%. It's pretty sad when someone ftps, untarrs, and compiles and
they call themselves an IMP. IMPs must KNOW_C_ and there is nothing more
to it. If you aren't familiar with it, don't try it.
        These patched up stock muds that seem to take up 75% of the muds
out there are all the same. And ppl new to coding, who really want to learn,
will not accomplish this by adding patch files or pasting snippets. You have to
toy with it, and toy some more. This is what will give you the power to be
great. As far as a haste spell, the spell itself is usually no more than about
3 lines, while identify is in there already. To figure out how to trans identify
to a castable spell...PLAY WITH IT. Look at other spells, look at identify. Look
at how each one is called, and how they are assigned.

(Moral of the story: THERE IS NO OLC FOR PROGRAMMING, LEARN IT!)

                        Franco

Has anyone else noticed that this list has turned into a code swapping
grounds? Now I am all for people making code and sending it to the list, but
what I am talking about is everyone and their grandmother posting messages
like:

"Hey! Does anyone have the code for the xxxxx spell? I'd really like to add
it to my mud. WHile you are looking what about code for using more movement
when you walk, my players seem to walk everywhere without tiring."

Now maybe I am from an older school of thought, but shouldt we all be CODING
our muds, not just applying code patches from other people? To all of you
just thorwing in stuff people send you... do you nopt realize except for
cosmetic changes that you make (which is all it seems you CAN make, and
sorry if that sounds rude) all your muds will be exactly the same thing?

Now everyone was a newbie, and I started coding by copying the a specproc
from one mob to make another say random things. (I think it was the drunk)
So I know what it's like to not know... but just blindly applying patches
from other people wont teach you a thing... if you seriosuly want to
learn... try to find something else in the code that does something similar,
and copy and modify it, or use it as a model for your new code.

One of the things that gets me is like a few posts back, someone asked for
the IDENTIFY code... now um... it's IN THE CODE. Now something I think is
wrong if you are looking to apply new spells (which requires a degree of
skill) and you do not even know how to look to see if it exists yet.

I'm ranting now, so I'm gonan end this email, but I mean really... TRY to
code somethign yourself instead of just applying crap someone sends you, you
are never going to get anywhere taking that route. I started programming
Ebon Mists about 1.5 years ago when it was VortexMUD, and I had no clue
about C. I stuck with it, hacked at it, and LEARNED IT, even before I knew a
circlemud mailinglist existed. Now my proficency in C has landed me an
awesome coding job with a software company.

Try it, you might just like it.

Hades

Ps. Um... that [Circle] tacked onto the subject is WONDERFUL (I can finaly
sort my mail now) but it's a little big and glaring... any chance it might
get changed to [C] or [Cir]? Just a thought.