Re: [Circle] Re: Just an observation

From: Chris Grantham (casper@optima.mme.wsu.edu)
Date: 07/26/96

At 08:40 AM 7/26/96 -0400, you wrote:

>> > BS!
>>
>> No, not BS.  No where is is stated IMPS *must* have C knowledge.  C
>> knowledge, and coding ability is helpful.  A *good* IMP should know C.  You
>> seem to confuse a GOOD IMP and a Newbie IMP.  It just happens to be
>??? A good imp MUST know C?
>Something there in that sentance just doesn't make sense.
>
>Let's use an example. Okay, you gots 3 coding fools that want a mud. SO
>they go out, get circle, and start modding away. Before long, you can't
>even recognize the code as circle based. So they show it to someone, and
>get a site. It's a very cool mud, and because they have no/little
>creative ability when it comes to building, they use OLC to let some of
>their players build. Their mud rocks, and rolls alog for awhile. But then
>there is a clash of player opinions. The 3 people don't know what to do.
>Sure, they can code in a new feature, but they can't for the life of them
>calm down the people. So now, whenever you go on, it's mass chaos.
>Everybody is taking sides and going nutz. Sparks fly. Nice mud? for a few
>people, yeah, but I for one don't like the gossip channel burn up from
>flame overload.
>The point here? Yes, 1 or 2 or 3 CODING imps are needed to create a good
>mud, but you need other components to the administrative machine if you
>want the mud to work.

What happens if Nerds one two and three are out of town, or not on at the
moment? You (as head builder or admin) have no idea why your mud just
crashed and isn't coming back up.. IF you knew C, you could prolly fix it,
but hey.. you're jes admin.

So now your loyal followers (All 100 of them that you've got on at a time
(Keep dreamin baby)) are mega pissed and you lose, say, 80 of them.. all
because YOU don't know what the f*** a syntax error is!

    \      Chris Grantham (aka Zxoi)
    /      casper@optima.mme.wsu.edu

                  TrekMUD               /