Re: [Circle] OBJ ERROR? or just a mind game?

From: Hades (tourach@servtech.com)
Date: 08/07/96

> ok, I added that vwear code and tried it out on legs and came up with this:
>
> Name: 'the palace key of New Thalos', Aliases: palace key
> VNum: [ 5400], RNum: [  391], Type: KEY, SpecProc: None
> L-Des: A large key bearing the crest of New Thalos lies here.
> Can be worn on: TAKE NECK HEAD LEGS FEET ARMS ABOUT WRIST WIELD
> Set char bits : NOBITS
> Extra flags   : !RENT
> Weight: 5, Value: 0, Cost/day: 0, Timer: 0
> In room: Nowhere, In object: None, Carried by: Cyberreaper, Worn by: Nobody
>
> Affections: None
>
> now, is this normal? a key that can be worn in anyplace including wielded?
> or is this some sort of error? please get back to me.

Uh... look in the object file and see what's set... duh...

From goamkows@kirk.geog.sc.edu Wed, 7 Aug 96 7:49:45 EDT
From: goamkows <goamkows@kirk.geog.sc.edu>
To: circle <circle@cspo.queensu.ca>
Subject: Re: [Circle] Quint... AC???!?
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 12:49:00
Sender: owner-circle@cspo.queensu.ca

actually, i think both of you are missing the abstraction represented
by HIT POINTS! :D  (and a *lot* of people do, check out
rec.games.frp.dnd to see ;)
(armor class is a whole other abstraction, and a whole other
discussion, but hp are the more important of the two, and since D&D is
the basis for most mud's, so it is worth discussing)

when the orc "hits" you for two *hit points* of "damage", he (it?) is
not necessarily inflicting physical, bodily damage on the person being
hit (unless the DM wants him to be :)
it is a measure of things like stamina, quickness, etc.  and as you
take "damage", you become more fatigued, slow down, generally become
less able to protect yourself, until finally, with only a few hp left,
you are unable to block (whether you were too tired to block it, too
fatigued to see it coming, or whatver) that incoming blow aimed at your
head/heart/whatever that kills you :P
(this explanation invalidates the entire damage message system... <g>)

and even if you don't like that explanation, even in the heaviest
armor you are still vulnerable to concussive damage, so maybe that orc
was using the flat of his blade, or the pommel :P