Re: [Circle] Error in IDnum mob field?

From: Niese-Petersen (Tenp@cris.com)
Date: 08/15/96

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Casper Lund wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 1996 12:12:35 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Casper Lund wrote:
> >
> >> As I understand it, the IDnum is supposed to be an unique identifier
> >> of the mob, but on my mud the IDnum field of all mobs is set to 0.
> >> I've never noticed it before, so I don't know if it's been that all
> >> the time.
> >IDnum is an unique identifier for a player, not a mob. It used in
> >like mob-memory, so they can remember a player who attacked them etc.
> >Why should a mob remember another mob ?
>
> That depends a lot on how you're running your mud..
> For example: If an evil/aggro mob enters midgaard, all
> cityguards/peacekeepers could hunt it down to protect the citizens.
> Therefore a mob should remember a mob! (IMHO)

Well. Then I would suggest you add another variable to the memory
structure. Like:
long mob_IDnum;

So everytime a mob is created you set the IDnum field in char_data,
(ofcoz have a variable that keep track on it, and add one up when
a mob is created) and when a mob is going to remember another mob,
set the normal IDnum field in memory structure to 0 and mob_IDnum to
the mobs IDnum. And then whn needed check for mob_IDnum when IDnum is 0.

Keep players IDnum seperated from the mobiles.

---
Erik Niese-Petersen
Aka Quint The typo God
Realms of Darkness IMP [matrix.xiii.com 6666. Playertesting]