Re: [code] Playerfile conversion

From: Daniel W. Burke (dwb@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 10/07/96

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Thomas Katzlberger wrote:

> You wrote:
> > You could save more space if you have fields that are set to the
> > default and just completely eliminate them from the file.   That
> > way, while you are gaining a bit of space for the "field"  being
> > there, you are also eliminating "0 0 (null) (null) 0 0 0"   from
> > the file.  I personally don't see why, though, you'd need to  do
> > a save of their name in the pfile considering the name is  known
> > by the time we are reading the pfile (eg., "spawn.plr" obviously
> > belongs to the person named, "Spawn," no ned to have that in the
> > actual pfile).
>
> Nobody can save significant space with *.plr files as the device
> block size of most harddisks is 512 or 1024 bytes. This means if
> a playerfile is 1034 bytes the actual space is at least 1536 bytes
> on your harddisk, not taking into account the inodes you are using
> up to store the directory and file reference.

A deffinate consideration... but not always an issue.. I know on the
system my mud runs on, the drives were formatted with the max inodes or
close to it, because there's another mud that's been there for 5 years,
that the machine was originally put up for the mud, and it uses a lot of
small files for various things...