Re: [code] Playerfile conversion

From: Thomas Katzlberger (cat@vuse.vanderbilt.edu)
Date: 10/07/96

You wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Niese-Petersen wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> >
> > the space I save.. And extra information like that, will just add
> > up. Thats why I take the chance and load/save in the same order
> > :)
>
> You could save more space if you have fields that are set to the
> default and just completely eliminate them from the file.   That
> way, while you are gaining a bit of space for the "field"  being
> there, you are also eliminating "0 0 (null) (null) 0 0 0"   from
> the file.  I personally don't see why, though, you'd need to  do
> a save of their name in the pfile considering the name is  known
> by the time we are reading the pfile (eg., "spawn.plr" obviously
> belongs to the person named, "Spawn," no ned to have that in the
> actual pfile).

Nobody can save significant space with *.plr files as the device
block size of most harddisks is 512 or 1024 bytes. This means if
a playerfile is 1034 bytes the actual space is at least 1536 bytes
on your harddisk, not taking into account the inodes you are using
up to store the directory and file reference.

Hence I suggest to use fractal compression ... by applying it
simultaneously to player and world files we could reduce the
effective pfilesize dramatically!! We just have to look for a
MOB with similar stats and make a reference to it. Whenever a
player loads he loads the mob instead and applys a diff to it
so that he gets his individual stats back.

Simple, isn't it?

Cat.