Re:[Offtopic] Disclaimer

From: Tim Bohnslav (BOHNSLAV_TP@WILCOR.COM)
Date: 10/16/96

        For example, some areas of the country (speaking of the US) have
        ruled in court cases that if you put up a sign that says beware of
        dog, you have recognized the hazard exists, and if you take no
        steps to mitigate the hazard and someone is injured, you've
        basically lost all defenses in the issue.

        Being an IMP and also a sysop of a BBS, I've seen this topic
        discussed at length in sysop forums around the world. It is best to
        contact someone (such as a user group) and see how the local legal
        issues may effect you.

        Due to the shrinking of the world though, that may not be a ready
        protection either since a case for damages can usually be brought
        either in the location that the damages occurred (the location of
        the claimant) or the location where the damages originated (the
        location of the defendant). Plantiff Attorneys are generally very
        careful to pick the most favorable.

        Since I deal with this on a day to day basis, thought I'd post my
        two cents on this one.

        Tim