Re: [Circle] Class strategy

From: Yoink! (xombi@accessus.net)
Date: 11/05/96

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996 MAALEXAN@am.pnu.com wrote:

> I was a god on a well-developed mud for some time.  This mud had 10 races
> and 11 classes with about 55 allowable combinations of the two.   I went
> thru the player file and looked at the popularity of the various class
> combinations for players who had reached 10+ level (out of 100), giving me
> about 200 players in my sample.  I found that 10 combinations of classes
> and races accounted for over 95% of the players.  (Something like 20
> combinations were not used by anyone). Now that I am working on my own mud,
> it seemed to me that instead of coding in races as a thing separate from
> classes, why not just add in the popular combinations (or facsimiles
> thereof) as classes?  Anyone here have experience with a similar approach?

Similar situation on my mud.  We started out with about 2 dozen types and
the same 3 keep coming up.  So when I imp my own mud, I'll remember to use
their class balance as a reference, and know which 3 classes already rock
and what 2 really suck.

> On another topic.  I've been having discussions with players on things they
> would like to see.  The gist of what they want is to have more hydrid
> classes where a player can do it all (fight, cast spells, do thief stuff).
> It seems to me that such hydrid classes take away from he "pure" classes
> (fighters, mages, thieves) that specialize in one aspect of the game.  If
> this is the general trend in hack'n'slash mudding then the end result would
> be a single class and a single race.  Have other imps/admins seen this
> trend in their muds or others they frequent?

Yeah, the problem with players is that they are "munchkin". They ALWAYS
want more skils/spells in the same class.   You gotta have some high level
rewards - say only a straight thief can learn a certain kick butt
skill/spell.

> The approach I favor is strict separation of class functions so that the
> playing experience for different classes is very different.  Different
> classes would use different strategies to gain exp and use different eq. Am
> I bucking a trend here and so am doomed to failure?

Nah.  Wish more muds did that.
 \ \\   / //                "If I were a dinosaur, I'd be a licalottapus!"
  \ \\ / //  _____  __       __ ______  ___       -Jonathan "Jax" Armsterd
   / /\ \\ ||     |||| \\ // || ||    \\| ||        Harder to killfile!
 /_//   \_\\       In God We Trust. All others pay cash.