Re: [Circle] race dependant spells

From: Mathieu Fenniak (fenniakj@cadvision.com)
Date: 11/10/96

Nic Suzor wrote:

> Hey,
>
> i have recently added races to my mud, and i am toying with an idea:
>
> currently spells are given to pcs based on class. what would be ideal, is
> to also have spells given to races. so, a HUMAN MAGE and a OGRE MAGE would
> have the same MAGE class spells, but the ogre might have a couple of extra
> spells given only to ogres... the way im thinking of doing it would be to
> duplicate the whole do_cast function, but that might be a little big... i
> am wondering if i can just add another pointer in do_cast to a new array
> like the one in class.c that defines spell levels. if i just make a new
> array, SPELL_RACE_LEVEL or something like that, is it possible? this would
> also be easier as i wouldnt need to add a new command instead of cast etc.
> just a thought.
>
> Nic Suzor
I'm not sure if this would be an easier or a better wa y to do this, but
it might work. Just add the spell normally, as if it were for all races.
Then put something like this:

if (GET_RACE(ch) == RACE_HUMAN) {
   send_to_char(ch, "Only ogres can cast this spell!");
   break;
 }

It would work (I think), and it would be relativly problem free.
				Mathieu Fenniak