Re: [Circle] Re: ram requirements

From: J. David Ribak (ribak@Token.Net)
Date: 11/16/96

Phoenix MUD, which is an ugly mix of 2.2 and 3.0 currently runs on a 486dx4
100, using up ALL 32 megs of ram on the machine, plus a couple of megs of a
50 meg swap file.  We just recently filled a 500 meg disk, although a lot of
that were entire backups of the mud.   We have been using about 30-40k of
bandwidth a day.  I consider Phoenix to be a medium sized mud--we only have
8k rooms, and anywhere from 30-60 players a night.  We do swap idle zones
out, but that does not seem to help very much with the memory constraints.
We are currently rewriting the mud from scratch in a pure 3.0 environment,
hopefully being a little more conscious about optimization.