Want to put together a top 10 list.

From: Bubonic (bubonic@bsu-cs.bsu.edu)
Date: 12/07/96

Hi there.

I have a very simple problem which I am hoping that someone can give
some advice on.  I have as part of my players file structure a variable
that keeps track of their total amount of kills (mobs they've killed).
What I want to do is put together a top 10 list, preferrably at Boot
time of the top 10 characters kills in the game.  I have been thinking
(and tell me if I'm wrong), that updating this list everytime a character
wanted to see the list would take far too much time.

Secondly, I have been trying to figure out how to display it.  I would
like to put it in my adventurer's guild on a sign, but I'm not sure how
that could be done.  Either way, or I would need to just write it to a file
somewhere and have it read, when the person views the sign.  That I can
do easily, the problem I have is in figuring out how to access all the player
files.

If anyone has had any experience in doing this, or there is a snippit somewhere
on it, or just someone that would care to help me out, I would appreciate
any advise that you could give.

I think that if I could just figure out how to loop through the entire
player file from start to finish, I could figure out the rest from there.

Thanks a lot,

Jeff Hanks
Bubonic, IMP at Legendary Mud
147.226.113.121 4000