Re: [Code] Room Flags

From: Jack Wilson (deejay@cu-online.com)
Date: 12/15/96

Daniel Koepke wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, JTRhone wrote:
>
> > > *grin*  Stumped again!  Fancy that...:)
> > > Uhm...so I increased the room flags in structs.h from an int to a long,
> > > now I can add more I think!:)  I thought wrong...cuz apparently it
> > > doesn't(it being the mud) doesn't like the new flags...doesn't recognize
> >
> > On some systems (most pc based I believe), longs are the same length as
> > ints, 32 bits....
> A somewhat less than portable method would be gcc's "long long" which
> will permit 64 flags on any supporting platforms.  Also, there would
> be bitfields, too, but that is a much larger project.

A fully portable method would be to use an array of unsigned chars,
and then define TOGGLE_BIT/SET_BIT/REMOVE_BIT to work with an arbitrary
sized array.  For example:

#define SET_BIT(arr,n)     (arr[(n)>>3] |= (1<<((n) & 7)))
#define TOGGLE_BIT(arr,n)  (arr[(n)>>3] ^= (1<<((n) & 7)))
#define REMOVE_BIT(arr,n)  (arr[(n)>>3] &= ~(1<<((n) & 7))

Note that this is just as efficient as operating on a single word,
if arr and N are constants.

However, I really have to ask if that's such a good idea.  From what
I have seen, the stock circle is extremely wasteful of these flags.
For instance, if you want to make a "mage only" weapon, you must
define it as !CLERIC !WARRIOR !THIEF.  Add new classes later?  Then
you have to add anti-class flags for each new class (wasting more
bits), *and* retroactively modify all your existing weapons.

Using a conversion utility *won't work*, because there is no way for
the utility to know that when you made an item !CLERIC, you really
wanted it to be anti-<any divinely powered class> as opposed to <will
work with anyone except clerics>.

Adding bitfields carelessly is an easy way to end up with an
inflexible database.

-- Jack