Re: RE: Backstab.

From: Ray (ruppertr@SNYCORVA.CORTLAND.EDU)
Date: 02/04/97

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Mental wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Ryan Linn wrote:
[why don't you just add some delay to the backstab command?]
> Command lag would not prevent a backstab flee loop, since the player
> leaves combat, waits, and steps back in.  But that will at least slow
> them down (not by much.)

Right.  It depends upon the problem you're trying to fix.  The problem
with the backstab-flee thing is that a thief can gain levels pretty
quickly by backstabbing and fleeing and repeating.  If you write a macro
or are a fast typist, you can attempt the backstab and run away before
the mob gets a swing at you...  thus it becomes basically free xp if you
have enough patience to keep an eye on your movement points and such.

Anyway, if you delay the person when they backstab, that will force them
to spend at least one round of combat [depending upon how much you delay
them] fighting the mob.  This will help discourage thieves who want to
get quick free xp.  I like this solution better than automatically making
a mob immune to backstab after it's backstabbed once.  Although, making
it an affect might not be too bad -- one that sets the AWARE bit for a
time, so it'll discourage multiple successive backstabs without giving
the mob an advantage permanently it has no business having. :)

Just my two cents,
		Ray