Re: Helping newbie coders, how much effort to put?

From: Sammy (samedi@dhc.net)
Date: 02/18/97

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Mehdi Keddache wrote:

> I'd be interested in knowing how you can help newbie coders that don't know
> pretty much anything about how to handle circle code and yet have a really
> genuine urge to implement a mud. The docs just say "Yeah right!"...
>
> I really don't mean to sound like I want to discourage newbie coders but
> the only answer that I have found is:
> stick to what you can do with pathches and detailed snipets and leave the
> harder stuff for when you have developped your coding skills.

My advice to newbies is to leave the snippets and contributed code alone
if they want to learn coding.  You may learn a little installing someone
else's code, but I think the best way to learn is to start simple and work
your way up, with your own code.

You have to start with the assumption that everything is possible.
Anything you can imagine a mud doing can be coded.  The frst thing you
have to do is break your problem down into manageable pieces.  Then, find
existing code (preferably from stock circle) that does something similar
to what you're trying to accomplish with your small piece of code, and try
to modify that to suit your needs.

I remember my first coding project that involved more than changing mud
text and color.  Actually, it's still not done, but a lot of people are
using it.  Obuild was pretty much my first coding project.  I was a circle
newbie and a C novice, but I wrote just a little bit of code at a time,
compiling and testing my theories as I went along, and in about two weeks,
the obuild object editor was buggy, but mostly functional.

In my nearly 2 years of playing with circle, I've installed two snippets.
They were both things that I had spent a good bit of time trying to do on
my own first, but I couldn't get right.  Since then I've worked on them a
lot more and can write them on my own without looking at the snippets.

After all this time, I'm still not a very good coder, but with time and
patience I can code just about anything.

Sam