Re: Game balance

From: claywar (claywar@cetlink.net)
Date: 02/24/97

> I'm currently working on my mud, and have realized that game balance seems
> to be one of the most confusing aspects of the game.  What are some tips on
> balancing the game.  I mean, how do you know if a mob is too strong, or too
> easy, and is giving too much experience.  How do you know if a weapon is too
> strong, or the mud is too easy in general.  My mud is currently in
> developing stage, where I'm just experimenting, having players test it,
> etc., but what is the best way to ensure that the game is balance.  Can this
> question be answered? :)

This is where constant hours of playtesting come in handy.  You have to
start somewhere, most likely that would be your experience tables (or
algorithm).  Then you have to take in account how long you want it to take
for characters to level, such if you want them to have to kill a lot to
level, you could give the mob 1 exp, etc.  Its all to your descretion.

cw!