Re: Time till tick in prompt

From: Rasdan (rasdan@PEAK.ORG)
Date: 07/19/97

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Patrick J. Dughi wrote:

> > Hey all
> >   Im using that really kool prompt string code (the one with all the %m's etc)
> > And i was wondering if anyone had attempted to put like a %t in the prompt
> > for how many more seconds till a tick passes. Just a thought
> >     Any flames? (Im sure SOMEONE can find something bad about it....)
> > -Nathan
>
> Personal Opinon.
>          I personally think it would be kinda stupid to have the info in
> the prompt. You only need it right before the tick goes off, and it
> decreases role-playability. I remember one mud in which everyone used
> tintin and it was not uncommon to see people run around willy-nilly, sleep
> for exactly .2 seconds, get up and continue speedwalking where ever they
> were going... made the mud more of a "Hey - i've got better triggers than
> you!" than anything else...

What I did was completely redo the regen functions and make each
character regenerate slightly every 5 real life seconds. That way the
problem described in the paragraph above isn't a problem anymore, because
regeneration takes place in small increments, not big jumps.

Rasdan

  I have done so much,
  with so little,                         James C. Thomas Jr.
  for so long,                                 Rasdan
  That I can do anything                Head Coder of Finality!
  with nothing.