Re: [bug][code]Ascii playerfile not writing to plr_index

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 07/22/97

On Tuesday, July 22, 1997 6:08 PM, Sammy [SMTP:samedi@DHC.NET] wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Gary Barnett wrote:
>
> > Why use a file to handle the player indexes? Seems better to just read
> > the pfiles on bootup and then add new players to the index when they
> > are created. Solves the entire problem. Though, as I don't use the patch
> > for ascii pfiles, I can't speak to dependencies that would break...
>
> Reading an index is a lot quicker than opening several thousand pfiles.

Well.. That's why I designed my system to store the idnum as the file
extension.. just look through the directory to get your player names and
the associated idnum. Don't have to actually open each file. Has the benefit
of allowing old player files to be deleted by merely deleting the player file
from the disk, and marking the entry in the player file table as invalid. You
can also delete player files outside the game during a regular maintenance
period and then just reboot after the ftp prog has finished deleting your
selections :-)

my $0.02 ...

--Mallory
"Never worry about the bullet with your name on it. Instead, worry about
shrapnel addressed to 'occupant.'" --Murphy