Re: [NEW IDEA?] Binary Pfile Editing system

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 07/30/97

        Personally speaking, this is a stupid thread. In an attempt to put
it to rest..

> > #> I'd rather just see ASCII pfiles in the stock code personally.
> >  Well, I personaly think ascii pfiles are a security risk. I know the box
> > i code on, is NOT SECURE. I don't know alot of people who can say there
> > box is totaly secure. All someone has to do is login and upload there
> > file.

        It dosen't matter if the pfiles are ascii or binary, they are
still both easily modifiable.  Hell - i wrote a perl script two years ago
to allow me to look at a binary pfile. It took about a half hour
(debugging mainly) to write a program that looks at the binary file, and
probably would take about 10 more minutes to allow one to alter it..

 > >1.-Its a game anyway
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
         Numero uno! Primo!

> snip<

        If the file is accessable, accessable by any one person, for any
reason, on any system, there is a probablity that someone could gain
unauthorized access. The security on most mud-running machines makes this
incredibly probable. And then, lets assume that at worst, the person will
still have access to your code.  In which case, if they know anything,
they can alter your mud in any way they want, up to deleting the whole
thing, which as far as I'm concerned would be the worst thing a person
could do - it would ruin at least 2 days of work.

        a) its a mud, get over it.
        b) backup and store on a non-connected machine
        c) don't let your kid brother touch machine in part b.

                        Please thread.. go away..
                                                PjD