[Off-Topic] Server Needed

From: Chris Grantham (casper@OPTIMA.MME.WSU.EDU)
Date: 08/25/97

Hi all, Sorry to spam the list with this:

My mud (EarthMUD) is in need of a permanent place to call home. The mud
is unique to my knowledge, and is based on Earth (Who woulda guessed).
The areas are 100% unique, and the code is modified circle. Current
development is at a near stand-still because of lack of a server. The
price range we are looking at is $Free-$20/month. 30 megs of HD space
would be more than adequate.

Please respond to casper@optima.mme.wsu.edu ASAP!

Thanks,
Chris

ObCircle:

Not to be a complete waste of time, but I'm curious. I was thinking
a while back while coding for another mud based in the UK. The lag to
the US could be unbelievable at times. We came up with the idea of
running another server in the US and somehow having them talk to each
other (ala
Intermud). The Client-Server route might work, where one of the nodes
passes all input on to the server and receives and distributes the
output out to all of the connected sockets. Cons: Unless the
Trans-Atlantic was reallyreallyfast(tm), it'd be just as bad, or worse.
Peer-Peer: Where each mud does it's own local stuff like fighting and
rent, and tells the other what's going on. Now with Cross-Server groups
this could get hairy really fast as we'd be constantly updating each
other and the lag could get just as bad.

Thoughts anyone?