Re: [BUG][FEATURE][Multiclassing]

From: Franco Gasperino (awe@CET.COM)
Date: 09/10/97

----------
> From: Rasmus Roenlev <raro94ab@STUDENT.ECON.CBS.DK>
> To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca
> Subject: Re:  [BUG][FEATURE][Multiclassing]
> Date: Wednesday, September 10, 1997 8:24 AM
> I just thought I'd throw in a comment here. A long time ago, I implemented
> this 'remort' system my mud (I called it multiclassing, but it's the same
> thing). I made it, so that when a character multiclassed (s)he would keep
> all the hp/mana/move, pracs as well as spells/skills.
> I wouldn't brag too much about the code, since it was one of the first
> things I modifyed on the mud *cackle* So, it was very, uhm... ugly code :)
>
> Anyway, this made for VERY powerfull characters. The mud allowed for any
> character to 'multiclass' three times, and thus aquire the skills of four
> classes and the hp/mana/move given by each of those. Considering the mud
> also had 100 mortal levels, this made for some pretty wacko characters in
> time.
>
> The problem presented itself by the fact, that these very 'highlevel'
> chacacters were so much more powerfull than the rest of the normal single
> class characters, that the mud was virtually impossible to balance. I
> changed the hitpoint variable on the mobiles from sh_int to int... But
> that didn't really solve anything. It generally just made it a pain (not
> impossible, but very painfull and time consuming) to try and balance the
> mud.
> Regards,
> Rasmus

  Any type of remort system or multiclassing should more or less be
open-ended. This is so the player will never achive a "maximum" and
get bored. However, there needs to be less gained each time they do
switch class or remortalize. Maybe small benifits like doing X.05 damage
or gaining more max 10 max hit points, all gradually decreasing until
the change is very insignificant but it is still possible to proceed.

Franco Gasperino
Cutting Edge Communications
http://www.cet.com/
509-444-INET