Re: [HELP][REQUEST]

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 09/10/97

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Chris Proctor wrote:

-+that's in db.c, in the parse_object function.
-+I've done similar stuff for room level restrictions, works exactly the
-+same way.

I kindof frown on this approach (like it matters what I frown at/on),
because then you get into assigning obscure letters for each addition
to the database file and it becomes confusing/hard to maintain in the
future.  I really like just having an optional level field at the end
of a string of numbers in the object, because it only appears when it's
needed (well, I suspect OLC systems will write it out whether it is used
or not).  It integrates the field into the actual database format, while
keeping it completely backwards compatible.  And it's a very simple
addition, at that.

Say you have this line (pseudo-code):

  if (sscanf(line, " %d %d %d ", &i, &j, &k) != 3)
    error;

to make an optional fourth argument all you have to do is,

  if (sscanf(line, " %d %d %d %d ", &i, &j, &k, &l) < 3)
    error;

this way, 3-infinite (theoritically) arguments can be accepted on the
same line [well, for as long as it fits the format], while only the
first 3 are required.

-+      "A double-edged sword lets you cut down
-+      your enemies with the backswing as well."
-+             -- Gerrard of the Weatherlight

Well, kindof.  A single-edged sword is quite capable of this, too; and
most double-edged swords (including long swords and Scottish claymores)
functioned better as piercing weapons.  Besides, Japanese katanas
(single-edged) cut far better than most, if not all, double-edged
swords I've seen.

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.