Re: RECALL

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 09/13/97

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Co-Sysop wrote:

-+and received an answer.  Maybe my stock circle was different than everyone
-+else's but I believe there is a silly cleric spell called....lemme think...
-+"word of recall"...Not sure what that does..(I actually know exactly what it
-+does)...  Couldn't you just slap that mf (iMportant inFormation...what did
-+you think i meant?) in the code as a command and just customize it to do
-+something else (-move) that you wanted?

Yes, you could, but hey, what does cut-and-paste teach you?

-+you can go for years making totally unique programs and barely even have to
-+touch a keyboard (cutpasteemailtakesomeoneelsescodestufflikethat).  I
-+already did that alot but now I know that i am doing the right thing :)

Uhm, no...cut-and-paste, regardless of what some CS teacher might
say, is not a viable way to program.  First, all you learn is how to
use the cut-and-paste features of your editor.  Second, your code
will begin to suck--and I mean quick.  If all you do is cut-and-paste,
you'll never improve on the code you're cutting-and-pasting.  Before
you even start to cut-and-paste, you should know how to code.  And by
the time you know how to code, you should know that there are so
many ways to do the same thing that you can't possibly have the best
possible way--and shouldn't drag along legacy code.

And besides which, how can you take credit for copying other people's
code, as you seem to be suggesting?

ObMe:
If someone comes up to you and says, "Hey, you want stitches put in your
knee?"  Hurt them.  Hurt them bad.  You don't want stitches in your
knee.  I should know, I just got a good number of them...and then I
realized, as I lay there on the ground, staring at my knee as it bled
profusely from a deep cut, that there in fact *was* a reason for me
wanting to remove those branches from the yard...and, yet, I still have
no clue as to why I put it off...

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.