Re: GNU C++ Compliant version of CircleMUD

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 09/15/97

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:

>    delete

I don't remember this one conflicting.

>2. There are some cases where the .h files are "redeclared" -- a lot
>of them, as a matter of fact. Around EVERY .h file that CircleMUD 3.0
>has, place the following construct (replacing FILENAME with the real filename
>or whatever you like):

I don't remember this problem either. (although I didn't add any -W
switches to g++ for more pedantic checking.)

>3. "const" has real meaning in C++, and remains throughout the program.
>Thus, "extern" on "const" variables causes major problems. Either get
>rid of the "extern" or get rid of the "const" where the linker tells you
>there's a problem with a variable.

Yup, and I added 'const' to a couple.

>4. In the area where function pointers are placed in structs, the function
>parameters were not included. Just have the function pointer declaration
>include the correct parameter list. C++ uses stricter typing rules than C.

I didn't have to do that.

>This is all I've done (other than, of course, changing gcc to g++ in the
>Makefile :-)); anyone else who wants to can just do it by replacing gcc with
>g++ in the makefile and starting a compile; you'll start getting the errors
>and where they occur in the files very quickly.

The 'const' linker ones were the most fun to hunt down.

I'd be interested in comparing your new C++ changes to the one I already
did that is on my web page. :)