Re: OS & coding.doc: communication channels

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 09/16/97

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Raf wrote:

-+From experience, Linux is the best OS for compiling a mud. I may be wrong
-+however, as ive heard SunOS is great too. One advantage with Linux was
-+that it was pretty simple to set up, presuming you can read a FAQ :)
-+The Slackware linux distribution can also be run off an MS-DOS partition,
-+which I believe no other unix-type OS can offer. I think anyway :)
-+In conclusion, linux is cool.

Linux is a great OS, as are many other UNIXes (unices?).  Linux is
probably the best for CircleMUD, although probably not muds in general
(this is partly do because, last I heard, Circle was coded "under"
Linux; while other muds probably arent'. :) Though Circle has a ton
of portability, so whatever you find best will probably work (except
for non-32 bit OSes, and a few 32-bit OSes without ANSI C / BSD socket
or Winsock support).

As for SunOS, I hate it.  Not that that means anything, though. :)

-+Hmm...this really isnt a circle post. Might need an ObCircle.

Well, I've made it one...see?  CircleMUD is mentioned three whole
times...oooohhh...

-+Okay a coding.doc addition maybe, since I cant think of anything else.

Which reminds me, I ought to do one of those.  Heh.  I know what some
of you are thinking: great, just what we need, Daniel patronizing more
newbies.  But, hey, it's almost as fun as...say...dancing nude in a
public place...(I mean, who hasn't danced nude in a public place?  It's
really getting quite boring).

-+-- interpreter.h --
-+Find the do_gen_tog defines. Add a "#define SCMD_NONEWBIE
-+<next number>"  to the end of the list. This is to be able to toggle on and
-+off the newbie channel.

I think the problem you have run into here is that you say what to do,
but not why to do it.  That just helps the newbie coder get down the
procedure, but if they don't know the importance of the steps or what
the steps do, we're only teaching them to add a newbie channel, instead
of channels in general.  It's something like FOIL in math (how in the
hell did I just remember that?!).  If you had (2+a)(2-a), you don't want
to know the answer is 4-2a+2a-a^2, you want to know how they got
4-2a+2a-a^2 (I suppose that could be simplified to 4-a^2 :P).

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.