Re: Liscensing and Copyrights

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 09/24/97

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Fili wrote:

-+Also, if I wanted to get a copyright on say... certain modifications to
-+circle that I made. Lets say for example that I made a piece of code which
-+allows mobiles to become major AI factors. If all the code for this was in a
-+seperate file, couldnt I regester the copyright for this file/section of code
-+without violating the Circle/DikuMUD liscense or the copyright already placed
-+on CircleMUD?

Of course you can copyright your own things.  CircleMUD can't forbid
you to do that.  But note that you are using *parts* of Circle for
that code (e.g., the macros, the structures, etc.).  That still doesn't
mean you can't copyright that code--actually, anything you write in
(at least) the United States is implicitly copyrighted [just harder to
prove in court if you don't get it registered]--just that it is still
using part of CircleMUD (and hence, DIKUMUD) and the license still
applies to that code.

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.