Re: An uncommon problem...

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 09/27/97

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Shadowdancer wrote:

-+  Some days ago, we had an upset player, who complained about a feature that
-+we have implemented. To 'simulate' a player's drunkness-level he does silly
-+stuff, and his language becomes scrambled. Now, the player that complained
-+is an autist (I'm no psychology expert, but the movie "Rainman" should give
-+a good idea). Everytime drunkscrambling appeared, the player tried to figure
-+out it's meaning, but couldn't. The player got a severe headache, and
-+thoughts were circling around the words that couldn't be deceiphered.

That's a new one.  Personally, I don't actually scramble text for
languages, I just indicate that they couldn't figure out what was
said; and this circumvents the problem.  I myself figure that they
either figure out what was said, or they don't.  If they understand
enough of the words, then they can probably derive a meaning from
it.  If they don't, then there's no point in showing them scrambled
text; unless you want the actual player (not the player character)
to be able to decipher the language (and then that makes skills and
spells to that affect worthless).

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.