Re: [REALLY Newbie] Thac0 and saving throws

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 09/27/97

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Cris Jacobin wrote:

-+        At this point, even working it out with a DM's guide next to me
-+would cause some problems.  I've just implemented multiclass, which means
-+quite a few to-hit tables added.  The thought of editing them all makes
-+be cringe.

You added more classes to account for the multi-classes, then?
That is, you added a Thief-Cleric class, and stuff like that for
each possible combination of the base classes?  Then why bother
creating new thac0 tables?  Just do an average of the classes
that construct the multi-classes thac0.

  average = (class1.thac0 + class2.thac0) / 2;

It kindof makes sense to me, as it would balance some of the good
and bad aspects of the two classes.  For instance, you have
class1.thac0 as 10 and class2.thac0 as 20.  The multi-classed
caracter's thac0 would be 15 (or (10+20)/2)...Not as good as
class1, but not as bad as class2 in that area.  Isn't that the
idea of a multi-classed character?  Kind of an average between
the two classes, instead of making the character either really
weak or really strong?

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.