Re: [REALLY Newbie] Thac0 and saving throws

From: Rasdan (rasdan@PEAK.ORG)
Date: 09/27/97

>         I know what you mean.  As well if you look you will notice that
> the cleric actually has a -better hit table than a thief-.  As for the bottom
> of the curve dropping off at level 20, original diku was made for 21 mortal
> levels.  I guess these tables were never more than just quickly hacked for
> 30 levels.
>
>         At this point, even working it out with a DM's guide next to me
> would cause some problems.  I've just implemented multiclass, which means
> quite a few to-hit tables added.  The thought of editing them all makes
> be cringe.
>
> -Jac 'Heh maybe the best solution would be to go back to 21 levels'

Nah, leave it as many levels as you desire, and remove all the tables.
They're lame, hard to configure, and are quite arbitrary. Instead,
develop formulas so that thac0 and throws go down at a rate variable to
their level.

I did:

switch (GET_CLASS(ch)) {
  case CLASS_MAGIC_USER:
    thaco = MAX(0, (20 - ((int)GET_LEVEL(ch)/6);
    break;
  case CLASS_CLERIC:
    thaco = MAX(0, (20 - ((int)GET_LEVEL(ch)/4)));
    break;
  case CLASS_THIEF:
    thaco = MAX(0, (20 - ((int)GET_LEVEL(ch)/3)));
    break;
  case CLASS_WARRIOR:
    thaco = MAX(0, (20 - (GET_LEVEL(ch)/2));
    break;
  default:
    thaco = 20; /* Error so thaco is max */
    break;
  }

  Works very nicely.

  As you can see (in effect) a magic user's thac0 goes down every six
levels, a cleric every 4, a thief ever 3, and a warrior every 2, but it
will never fall below 0.

So in a 40 level mud, a magic user's thaco will be 14 at max level, a
cleric's will be 10, a thief's will be 7, and a warrior's will be 0.

Do a similar thing with the saving throws and you'll be set.

Rasdan

  I have done so much,
  with so little,                         James C. Thomas Jr.
  for so long,                                  Rasdan
  That I can do anything                Head Coder of Finality!
  with nothing.