Re: An uncommon problem...

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 09/28/97

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Hans H. Hjort wrote:

-+        I can see one advantage to the language scrambling system,
-+that is the case where the character can make out some of the words.
-+The player can then try to make sense of the scrambled words and
-+won't know if he got the whole message right.  When you don't know
-+a language well, you don't always know that you either understood
-+the message 100%, or have no clue.  But then again, that extra element
-+probably isn't that important on most muds.

Argh, this is one of the reasons I used for *not* using a
scrambling system.  You don't want to the player deciphering
the language, you want the player's *character* deciphering
the language.  In other words, allowing an outside element
(that is, outside of the game), such as a player (and not
their character) to decipher a language defeats the whole
purpose of scrambling the text and having language skills in
the first place.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
I've always thought that the idea was to have a game where the
character takes part in the world, not where the player
outsmarts and overcomes additions to the game.

Did no-one catch this, or does everyone disagree?

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.