Re: An uncommon problem...

From: Hans H. Hjort (hjort@S-96-226.RESNET.OHIO-STATE.EDU)
Date: 09/28/97

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> Argh, this is one of the reasons I used for *not* using a
> scrambling system.  You don't want to the player deciphering
> the language, you want the player's *character* deciphering
> the language.  In other words, allowing an outside element
> (that is, outside of the game), such as a player (and not
> their character) to decipher a language defeats the whole
> purpose of scrambling the text and having language skills in
> the first place.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
> I've always thought that the idea was to have a game where the
> character takes part in the world, not where the player
> outsmarts and overcomes additions to the game.

My point was that with the scrambling system, the player could get
it wrong, but think he has it right.  Your system the player is 100%
sure he has it right, or is certain he can't make heads or tails of
it.  My image of a scrambling system is where a percentage of the words
are scrambled, and some are left clear.  The player may be able to guess
what the missing words are.  He can't be sure he is right.  Each system
has its advantages and disadvantages.  As for me, a language system is
very low on my priorities, so I haven't chosen either yet. <G>

                                                        -Hans