Re: Asynch?

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 09/29/97

On Sunday, September 28, 1997 11:56 PM, Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer
[SMTP:doomer@BAYOU.COM] wrote:
> I appreciate everyone's answer to my question about bitfields.
> they make a bit more sense, but i'd need to find an easy way to access
> them (i can :-)
>
> anyway, onto my point.
>
> I've been thinking of (since i'm gonna ASCII-fy the mail file)
> allowing people to have FORWARD addresses from the mud, to their RL
> email address.  i've been wondering though.
>
> Is there a way to do this, without slowing down the mud.
> anytime i try to run a Mailx or sendmail process from the mud,
> it lags the mud for a short period of time (2 secs maybe) and if i have
> lots of people mailing at once, it'll create a large amount of lag.

Write the routine to output the file to a holding directory. Then have a cron
job
run through the files sending them on their way. I'm sure if you asked in the
right place someone could whip up a unix syntax to read the first line of the
file as the email address to send to, the second as the source and the rest
as the message.

--Mallory

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never
expect it.     - Jack Handey