Re: An uncommon problem... "Co-Sysop" at Sep 30, 97 06:23:18 pm

From: Aaron Miller (Tarus50@CONCENTRIC.NET)
Date: 10/01/97

> Also, if you do allow the player to learn the language just by listening (if
> you're not then this question doesn't apply to you), what will you do about
> typos and mispelled words and names (which are usually the same or similar
> in foreign languages).

You know, you could also code a little bit to help the character pick up
the language as they go along. Perhaps when they are around people
speaking a language alot, it would go up to 1% or 2%, if they didn't
already know it. Then, they would understand a small amount of what is
being said. As their percent goes up, the more they understand (the less
that you scramble). I still think it would be interesting to have a
different kind of scrambling for each language, so that each would have
its own unique look.