Re: exp system

From: Stephen Arnold (dalamar@CYBERCOM.NET)
Date: 10/03/97

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Co-Sysop wrote:

> Why not try this?
> Have the mud calculate how much exp each person in the group should receive
> based on the levels of the other group members.  here is an example:
>
> kitten (level 1)
> puppy (level 2)
> are both grouped.  They want to gain exp.
> Hellspawn (level 30)
> joins up with them and starts killing cityguards.
> Hellspawn receives want he/she would normally get from the mob
> kitten gets what Hellspawn would normally get from the mob
> puppy gets what Hellspawn would normally get from the mob
> Notanewbie (level 50) (remember I use more than just stock levels)
> joins the group and starts killing thebigmob.
> Notanewbie gets what he/she would normally get from the mob
> Hellspawn gets what Notanewbie would normally get from the mob
> kitten gets what Notanewbie would normally get from the mob
> puppy gets what Notanewbie would normally get from the mob
> This way no one can get more exp than the highest level player in the group
> gets and the highest level player in the group can't exactly go around
> killing things 20 levels higher than his/her level to get an outragious
> amount of exp.  As for getting a newbie supergood eq, there are already ways
> to level restrict equipment.

        Whoah, That would be probably the worse thing you could do.
Newbies would be flyin high. How about this

Take the total amount of levels in a group (suppose 2 level 5 chars and a
level 30 are grouped), kill a mob, divide the experience by the amount of
levels, and then take that amount and give it to the chars multiplied by
their level. Ie. The above said group kills a mob that would normally give
any one person killing it 80k experience. Total levels is 40, 80k divided
by 40 would be 2k. Both level 5 chars would get 10k, and the 30 level char
would get 60k.

        Not only would that be a good way to do it, it also makes sense
:). You would imagine the bigger char doing the brunt of the work, so it
makes sense they get more experience. Are there any flaws I am
overlooking, I am trying to think why this would NOT work, and cannot
think of anything.
                                                #include <Ryan.G>