Re: exp system

From: Co-Sysop (dmodem@CYBNETONLINE.COM)
Date: 10/03/97

At 05:49 AM 10/3/97 -0400, Stephen Arnold wrote:
>On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Co-Sysop wrote:
>
>> Why not try this?
>> Have the mud calculate how much exp each person in the group should receive
>> based on the levels of the other group members.  here is an example:
>>
>> kitten (level 1)
>> puppy (level 2)
>> are both grouped.  They want to gain exp.
>> Hellspawn (level 30)
>> joins up with them and starts killing cityguards.
>> Hellspawn receives want he/she would normally get from the mob
>> kitten gets what Hellspawn would normally get from the mob
>> puppy gets what Hellspawn would normally get from the mob
>> Notanewbie (level 50) (remember I use more than just stock levels)
>> joins the group and starts killing thebigmob.
>> Notanewbie gets what he/she would normally get from the mob
>> Hellspawn gets what Notanewbie would normally get from the mob
>> kitten gets what Notanewbie would normally get from the mob
>> puppy gets what Notanewbie would normally get from the mob
>> This way no one can get more exp than the highest level player in the group
>> gets and the highest level player in the group can't exactly go around
>> killing things 20 levels higher than his/her level to get an outragious
>> amount of exp.  As for getting a newbie supergood eq, there are already ways
>> to level restrict equipment.
>
>        Whoah, That would be probably the worse thing you could do.
>Newbies would be flyin high. How about this

I think we hit one of those "it sounded good before I said it" kinda things.
I don't know exactly how the exp system works on Stock Circle.  I will try
to clarify things a bit:
Amount of exp gained depends on 2 things, amount of exp the mob has (in .mob
file) and the level difference between the player and the mob.  This way a
level 50 player killing a level 53 mob would get around the same benefit as
a level 10 player killing a level 13 mob.  Then what I wrote before makes
more sense but then of course you would have to adjust the exp for the level
of the player (something I didn't think of before) or just make the
difference between the amounts of exp to level almost the same and make exp
mobs have be around the same number (instead of a 100 for a low level mob
and 100000 for a higher level mob).

I guess there are no easy solutions.  But there are solutions.  This thread
may end but it will never land on one idea.  Someone will find an exp system
they like and then use it and someone else will use another exp system.
That's good. If someone doesn't like the exp system of one mud its good to
know that if they visit a different mud they will experience a different exp
system.  Use whatever you want, maybe occasionally help out some other
people who are having trouble coding their systems (not required, but often
appreciated)