Re: Jesus walked on water...

From: David Klasinc (bigwhale@CAPYBARA.SK-PTTSC.LJ.EDUS.SI)
Date: 10/16/97

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Andrew Helm wrote:

> If a player is over water don't let them drop their stuff. Instead,
> require them to type "drop!" in order to drop an item no matter
> what. I agree with Jeremy on this issue: an everyday command like
> drop shouldn't cause players to lose equipment. When you're playing
> a mud you don't necessarily realize you're over water, I mean,
Hm, yeah the would be if you're in the hack'n'slash mode, making 'runs' on
mobs. You have evey possible brief options turned on, you speedwalk to the
mob kill the mob speedwalk to another one, and so on...

> it's not like real life where you can feel the boat rocking,
> see the waves in the water, or use your other senses. Accidents
Hm, this can bi also simulated you know... make few 'F/X' mobs running
around the sea and they will be sending echoes to the rooms, something
like "Small wave suddenly rocks your <boat>." or maybe even "Very tasty
looking fish has just appeared below the water surface."

If you want to run RP mud, then you will make sure that players will know
where they are (Desert, sea, flying in the air,...) and then it's their
own fault if they drop things in the water or in the air or whatever.
If you're running hack'n'slash mud, then you will not bother with the
details like this, you just have to make 100 big mobs, throw in few
objects and rooms and TAA-DAA here's your mud that will be played by
eliza's hooked up on tintin *grin*

> happen and causing a player to lose their equipment from "drop"
> just seems wrong to me.
Sure it's wrong... :P I never drop things in the water. :P

But if you're really worried about this, then just add something like this
into the perform_drop()

if ((SECT(IN_ROOM(ch)) == SECT_watersomething) && !*arg2) {
  send_to_char("Where will you drop it? In the water?", ch);
  slap_character;  /* *grin* */
  return;
}

This would help... Then of course you have to add the code that will look
for arg2 and so on... :)

David!