Re: [Offtopic] observations about MSVC and win32 compilers

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 10/25/97

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Gary Barnett wrote:

%Find In Files is a godsend.
%Source Safe gives you real version control
%Integrated debugging allows the program to automatically put you at the line
%that crashed.

Uhm, essentially: grep, RCS, and gdb, except with pretty interfaces
and less power.  Excuse me if I don't burst with joy.

%The GNU project's goal is noble. I am happy that there exists a free method
%of compiling real C programs for win32. But I can't see myself using it, as I
%would give up too much efficiency.

Question: what efficiency would that be?  The efficiency of MSVC?  Last
I checked, the side of the box for MSVC said it "required" 24mb of RAM.
There's efficiency for you.  While we could certainly argue over what
in particular is "efficient" for an invidividual programmer unendlessly,
under most--if not all--circumstances, an understood command line
interface is more efficient than a GUI, mouse-based one.  Note the word
"understood."  If you don't know what you're doing, then it's certainly
not going to offer any advantage to you.  On the other hand, if you
understand a program that uses a graphical interface well-enough, then
you'll probably use a lot of short-cut keys.

Not for want of yet another UNIX vs. Windows thread, as that is hardly
my point (whatever you're comfortable with is the best for you), but I
have to wonder about the, "would give up too much efficiency," line.

--
Daniel Anton Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:- [Nether]
"Human language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes