Re: Mob fleeing

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 10/28/97

On Tuesday, October 28, 1997 5:48 PM, George
[SMTP:greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU] wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Angus Mezick wrote:
>
> >#define CHECK_WAIT(ch)  ((!IS_NPC(ch))? \
> >                           (((ch)->desc) ? ((ch)->desc->wait > 1) : 0 ):\
> >                           (GET_MOB_WAIT(ch)>0))
> >
> >I know it looks nasty and icky, but do you see anything wrong but a bad
> >code
> >style?
>
> I think it's glossing over the real problem at hand.  There shouldn't be
> two versions of the same variable for mobs and pcs.

I agree 100% there. I yanked that union out of the character structure a long
time
ago. After I spent several hours trying to figure out why the heck one thing
was
affecting another when they had no business doing so.

Bottom line: IMHO, there shouldn't be unions in the structs. Confuses too
many
people.

Another thing. Why the heck does stock code allocate a mob_specials structure
for players?

Seems to me fixing both of those problems results in a memory-neutral fix.
Actually
saves a few bytes.. but only on players.. not enough to really matter in the
great
scheme of things.

--Mallory

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, nor lousy manuals
nor missing parts, nor wrong parts shall keep me from my task.
  --Christopher Hicks