Re: dumb coding ??

From: j f chaos (jfchaos@JUNO.COM)
Date: 10/30/97

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997 00:47:57 -0500 Rich Chiavaroli
<rchiav@FRONTIERNET.NET> writes:
>On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, John Evans wrote:

>2) The person (me) who downloaded the code, looked through it, figured
out
>that he/she didn't have a prayer of learning C from looking at the code
>and went out and bought a couple books and read them. Then went back to
>the code and spent 2 weeks looking through all the source to try to get
>little understanding of how things work.

  I believe I fall into this category, because I started trying to learn
C before I had ever heard of Circle, and I had very little luck so, I
d/l'd the code for Circle and since I had a working program in front of
me I used it as a learning tool, and can hardly be torn away from my
computer to very little else,(except the occasional game of Quake)=]

>I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree with John that anyone who
>attempts to start a MUD should take the time to a) learn at least basic
>ANSI C and b) get a good feel for what gets done where in the code.

  There should be a notice in the docs about this somewhere =]

>An "if (x = y)" error is evil to find when you're just learning :).
           ^
I used to do a lot of the "duh" bug searching too.

Lord Chaos

"Well, I didn't say every tiny syllable, but basically I said them."
--Army of Darkness