Re: Bpl13 suggestion <c=US%a=_%p=MATHINC%l=MPR5-971031124344Z-94024@mpr5.MATHINC>

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 10/31/97

Edward Glamkowski writes:
>>More seriously, I'm all for entirely removing the auto title thing
>>from stock.
>
>I agree with everything that has been said about removing
>auto-titles.  I also removed it from my mud.  Dump 'em :)

Boy, times sure have changed...

I remember as a freshman in college, in '91 (Diku has just come out),
those titles were a part of the role-playing aspect of the game.  The
original Diku code does *not* show you the level and class of players
in the 'who' list -- the idea of putting a [34 Mu] at the beginning of
the line was one of the "cool" enhancements that certain MUD imps
added (and an enhancement that was later picked up by code bases like
Circle).

When you typed "who", the only way you knew the level and class of a
player from their title.  It was really part of the role-playing charm
and went a long way towards trying to make the mud less "numeric" --
i.e. a game that always shows you imaginary descriptions ("some cuts
and bruises") instead of cold, hard numbers ("[HealthVector = 95%]).
Of course, users couldn't change their titles; the "title" command was
another popular enhancement that came along later.

But I guess these days, people would scream bloody murder if they
couldn't set their titles, or if they were required to use a player's
title to divine his level and class, so they are probably obsolete.

-je