Re: [ADMIN] Memory a Mud takes up

From: Sean Butler (sbutler@DEVEAST.COM)
Date: 10/31/97

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Angus Mezick wrote:

->A good 30-35M at boot and then it goes down to about 25 as the mobs/objs idle
->out (if the zone isn't visited in a while and doesn't have a special flag, we
->clear all the mobs and objs until a char enters...)

   Daniel wrote:
>>Dear lord...35mb at boot?  You mean, you're using up that much memory
>>before there are any players in the game?!  You might want to look
>>into rewriting your code for efficiency.  Okay, truthfully, it's fully
>>possible for a CircleMUD to use 25mb, and it's not too outrageous of a
>>figure.  But I would still look into cutting down memory usage.

        The mud I am working on currently uses about 15-17meg, however,
        it has a reasonably large wilderness.  One thing that no one
        offered as a way to cut down on some of the overhead is to compile
        the mud without the -g option (debugging info).  This will reduce
        the amount of memory it consumes to some degree.

        Even with debugging info turned on, 25-35meg is enormous.  You
        may want to check whether or not you have added data to a structure
        that will be duplicated where its not needed.
        For example, buffers used for players that are in a struct used by
        mobiles too.