Re: Link dead pc's

From: Rasdan (rasdan@PEAK.ORG)
Date: 11/04/97

> G'Day.
>     in the code (around this line) -> act("$n has lost $s link.", TRUE,
> d->character, 0, 0, TO_ROOM); <-  players who are linkless (and
> *hopefully* in the void or whatever room is declared as the void...), is
> there a way to TOTALLY remove players from the game ?
>
> I don't want linkless players (ie. NEWBIE is standing here(linkless))
> hanging around.
>
> I also don't want a patch .. just some ideas like where to look. I was
> looking in close_socket, but am stumped.
>
> Any helpful suggestions please.
>
> Jussy

This already happens in limits.c, function: check_idling()

I can't give you the specific line #, because my file is too modified to
be recognizable.

Anyway, after 8 ticks, the char is sent to the void, and then after 48
ticks, the char is removed from the game.

Which reminds me, a good suggestion for bpl13:

Make these values settable with a #define at the top of limits.c

/* Change these values to modify how quickly the game extracts chars */

/* Change this value to determine how long must be idle before the char
 * is sent to the void.
 */
#define TIME_VOID               8

/* Change this value to determine how long must be idle before the char
 * is extracted from the game.
 */
#define TIME_CLOSE_SOCKET       48

/* Change this value to appropriate level that you wish timing out not to
 * occur. Leave at -1 if you wish timing out to occur as normal.

#define TIME_LEVEL_NOVOID       -1

In limits.c, where it calls check_idling -- point_update:

if (TIME_LEVEL_NOVOID != -1 && GET_LEVEL(i) < TIME_LEVEL_NOVOID)
  check_idling(i);

That way makes it very customizable (something that is desired), and any
implementor can modify these values without having to ask us :P

Rasdan

                                  /   \
        _                 )      ((   ))     (
       (@)               /|\      ))_((     /|\                 _
       |-|`\            / | \    (/\|/\)   / | \               (@)
       | | ------------/--|-voV---\`|'/--Vov-|--\--------------|-|
       | |  James C. Thomas Jr.   `\Y/'  Founder of Finality   |-|
       |-|                 rasdan@finality.com                 | |
       | |                  finality.com 4000                  |-|
                 l /   V           \ \       V   \ l           (@)
                                   `\ /'
                                     `