Re: [WIN95] In place of autorun?

From: Baktor Silvanti (baktor@BEDFORD.NET)
Date: 11/04/97

Lee Camden wrote:

> For all of us Win95 users (god help us). I was curious what the win95 users
> use in place of the autorun script. In other words, what's out there that
> does the same thing and works with this OS?  Feedback is great, it'll help
> decide if it's worth it to write something to do this job. While I
> currently use a batch file, it still doesn't compare to the original script.

Hello,

I am running on Win 95 B (there are 13 builds of win95 out there) and I
am also using MSVC 5.0 (powerbuilder suite) for compiling and running
the mud.  The new patch 12 seems to be ok although it has many many
warnings in it whereas patch 11 only has one in comm.c:

cl -c /nologo /I. /IH:\MSDEV\INCLUDE comm.c
comm.c
comm.c(358) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied

here are the errors on the patch 12:

        cl -c /nologo /I. /IH:\MSDEV\INCLUDE comm.c
comm.c
comm.c(358) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied
        cl -c /nologo /I. /IH:\MSDEV\INCLUDE act.comm.c
act.wizard.c
act.wizard.c(197) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied
act.wizard.c(203) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied
act.wizard.c(2349) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied
        cl -c /nologo /I. /IH:\MSDEV\INCLUDE db.c
db.c
db.c(1595) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied
db.c(1605) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied
db.c(1619) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied
        cl -c /nologo /I. /IH:\MSDEV\INCLUDE house.c
house.c
house.c(442) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied
house.c(484) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied
        cl -c /nologo /I. /IH:\MSDEV\INCLUDE spec_procs.c
spec_procs.c
spec_procs.c(635) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied
        cl -c /nologo /I. /IH:\MSDEV\INCLUDE spells.c
spells.c
spells.c(119) : warning C4761: integral size mismatch in argument;
conversion supplied

this is all pure stock that came in the distribution zip.  I also had
a problem with do_gen_write which i think is in act.other.c? anyways,
it uses a struct stat, which needs sys/stat.h i do believe.  MSVC 5.0
has this file in the "same" directory as unix does.  I do not know if
any other win95 compiler is like this.

Well, now that I have that off my mind, lets get to the question you
asked: autorun scripts.  I think there has been a post for the autorun
stript somewhere in the past but i have done something else altogether.
I simply created a batch file called runmud.bat:

@echo off
H:
cd\
cd circle
cd stock
.\src\circle >> .\lib\logs\syslog.txt

(note that the redirection only works if you have fixed the syslog code
itself which is a snippet on the snippet page.)

This batch gaurentees that you end up in the right folder when you try
to start up the mud and redirects output to a syslog.txt file.  I then
changed the shutdown reboot option to point to this instead of the
autorun.  It seems to work just fine as i've been running the mud 3
months now with no glitches. Notice that if u have set up your dos
prompts to automattically close on exit you shouldn't need to add much
more than this.

Baktor Silvanti of Radark