Re: [QUESTION] Saving throws

From: Co-Sysop (dmodem@CYBNETONLINE.COM)
Date: 11/04/97

At 12:02 PM 11/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Ryan Gasper or Steven Arnold wrote:
>
>>         I was adding some classes to my MUD for remort, which was the
>> first time I had done so. After going through most of the stuff, I found
>> the saving throw table in magic.c. Now, my MUD is 50 levels, and I am not
>> the one that added them, but I noticed that saving throws only went up to
>> level 40 (I assume this is the stock amount?), I would assume that you are
>> supposed to expand that if you do add in more levels (A note, after
>> checking the levels.doc on the Circle site to see if it had any mention of
>> this, I found that it does not).
>
>If you have 50 total levels, you will need 51 entries for saving throws.
>Level 0 thorugh level 50.

Stock levels = 34
Stock Saving Throws = 40

When I added levels to my mud I stubbled across this and could figure out
what the 40 was for.  I eventually left it at 40 and so far I have only
have one probably.  When I try to advance someone to a high level (to imp
someone for example) it doesn't advance them to the level I wanted.  For
example:

player's level is 1
advance player 75
player's level is 44
advance player 75
player's level is 44
advance player 45
player's level is 45
advance player 50
player's level is 50
advance player 60
player's level is 75 (which is what I wanted when I started the whole thing)

I am guessing this doesn't happen in stock circle.  I have gone through
every inch of the code several times and everything leads me to the saving
throws(If I am wrong please tell me).  But If saving throws are like THACO
and you need one for each level then why does stock use 40 instead of 35
(34 levels + level 0)?