Re: Circle's net protocol

From: Chris Proctor (cjp@YOYO.CC.MONASH.EDU.AU)
Date: 11/09/97

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Mark A. Heilpern wrote:
>
> ->The main problem (well, problem in my view) with a UDP based mud is
> ->you will need a special client to access it. Sure, most likely better
> ->than 80% of your users use zMud which could be considered a special
>
> Uhm, I would wager that less than 25% of users use zMUD.  I think the
> most popular would be telnet, tinyfugue, and tintin in that order.  Of
> course, I don't have any information to support that, but considering
> that the majority of MUDders are coming from UNIX shell accounts, not
> Windows95 machines (although increasingly more are coming from there),
> I would doubt that 80% of users are using zMUD.

Yup, I would agree.
Because most people are coming from a UNIX prompt and most of the users
(on my mud at least) have never mudded before, they tend to use telnet.

The experienced users seem fairly evenly split between tintin and
tinyfugue, with some people using ZMUD. zMUD is much more powerful
though, for the inexperienced user at least, and supports the playing of
.wav files and so forth (so do WinTin and so forth, I gather).

But yeah, I think Daniel would win that wager.

Chris

Q:  How many IBM CPU's does it take to
    execute a job?
A:  Four; three to hold it down, and one to