Re: Passwords

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 11/16/97

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Rasdan wrote:

> Yeah, remove all reference to CRYPT in the password login sequence.
> I did this because I had several requests from people who (gasp)
> forgot their password and wanted me to change it. With no recourse
> available to me to do so, I removed the encryption from it and now,
> although I could see people's passwords if I wanted to, I can also
> change their password if they so desire.

You didn't need to do that. To change passwords there are two methods:

For an immediate change:
In the MUD type:
set file [name] [new-password]

You can also change it from the shell menu, but you have to reboot the
MUD for the change to take affect because it changes the playerfile, but
not the data in memory.
Like so:
bin/mudpasswd lib/etc/players [name] [new-password]

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.