Re: adding new levels gone off topic, and onto flaming

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 11/20/97

>ObCircle:
>Hmmm...er...ahh...Can't think of anything :(  Okie, lame, but ya'll
>should add a spec proc check and call for mobs upon death.  Or just
>before death, to cause death, though that's not as easy.  This of course
>works great on my mud, because some skills/spells are only given out by
>a mob when they die, but dying breaths/words could be another feature...
> Ya never know, there could even be a good reason for this :P

There are plenty of mobs in AD&D that don't actually die when
they take enough damage to kill them.  This kind of thing could
be made as an extension of the above.
Mobs that come immediately to mind:
* grizzly bears - they don't die right away, but get extra damage until
they take another 10 points of damage or so.
* aurak draconians - you have to read the description for these guys,
as it is really awesome what happens to them :)
* all the draconians have something special that happens when they
die.  Baaz turn to stone (trapping the killing weapon therein, unless
it is a blunt/bludgeoning weapon), another type turns into a pool of
acid, another type explodes, etc.
* That black-robed wizard that cursed the tower at palanthus.
(can you tell I am a DL fan :)

I want to say there is something funky about the death of a demi-lich,
but can't remember what (or maybe I am mis-remembering and nothing
special happens with them :P )