isname overusing memory?

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 11/29/97

I've noticed on lots of calls of isname, particularly in the get_*
functions, that it duplicates the string before actually calling isname,
passing in the duplicated string.  I looked at isname, and it doesn't
look like it ever changes the passed in strings.  In fact, it looks like
it duplicates any to-be-changed strings itself...

So am I safe in assuming it is ok to remove the (apparently) unnecessary
duplicating in the get_* functions?

- Chris Jacobson