Re: Libraries Daniel W. Burke on Wed, Dec 03, 1997 at 10:13:19AM +0000

From: Eric Green (thrytis@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 12/03/97

> We have a new site, however, being another linux machine, it's mkLinux, so
> it's on a power pc.... all in all not really a problem I shouldn't think...
> except, the library "libdl" is missing... my question to anyone that knows
> is, is it just not available for mklinux?  or is there still hope?  As it
> stands, the -rdynamic flag to gcc says it's an invalid option, and although
> "file comm.o" says it's an ELF lib, all the lib's I've seen on the system
> are libXXX.a.  Any insight/help would be appreciated.... if getting libdl
> for this system isn't an option, I've already started looking at something I
> ran across on tsx-11.mit.edu called dld, which seems to do basically the
> same thing, just a bit differently....

Check the version of MkLinux you are running.  According to the updates
page (http://www.mklinux.apple.com/MkLCurrent/updates/), shared libraries
weren't really supported until DR2.1 update 3.  I think libdl is part of
libc, so if it doesn't work with the latest MKLinux distribution, you
might want to try using glibc 2 (PPC is not supported in 2.0.x, but is
supposed to be in the developmental 2.1).  Check out
http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc for information on this.

Eric