Re: Q: Event scripts

From: Sean Butler (sbutler@DEVEAST.COM)
Date: 12/05/97

At 01:57 PM 12/5/97 -0600, Salvatore wrote:
>Hello folks.  Hope you all had a decent Thanksgiving!
>
>Event code seems to be--from listening to the list for a long time--the
>best way to get actions spaced out.  The question I have is:  Does
>implementing this effect the character, mob, object, etc structure in any
>way?  What I'm thinking is this:  I'll keep coding my mud (when rl lets
>me!) without events code, and get it up and running.  Then I could make a
>tarred backup of my mud, and start putting in the event code.  When it's
>in, I could switch the code I'm using.  If something related to event
>should cause problems on the mud, I could copy the current(event) code
>over somewhere else and replace it with the old, event-less code while I
>work on fixing the crash.

Our mud uses a sort of event system for lagging the player before he
gets to cast a spell or perform a skill.  We figured it makes sense
that the more powerful the spell, the longer it should take to cast.
It never made much sense to me, from a role-playing point of view
that a person should be lagged after he had already hit the dragon
with his fireball.

Look into using RCS, it makes that kind of reverting operation simpler.
Plus, you will then have every single revision you ever made to any file.
This obviously has great advantages.  Also, if you have more than just
one coder for your mud, it allows you to work simultaneously without
affecting the other person's work.  ie. When I checkout a file, other
people cant edit it until I check it back in again.

If you use Linux you might already have it installed, try:

man rcsintro

That will give you a good understanding of what it does and how to use it.

--Sean

----

     /'''''''''''''''''\'\       The final aspiration of all coders?
    | /* Sean Butler */ | |      Sean Butler
    |                   | |      Coder for finality.com 4000
    |      exit(0);     | |      xin@finality.com